1ST CONDITIONAL or CONDITIONAL 1

1ST CONDITIONAL / CONDITIONAL 1

The first conditional is used to express situations based on fact in the present or future (things which may happen).
Uses the simple present tense + will or a modal verb:-

Formation

(IF Clause)
(Main Clause)
If I see you tomorrow,I will buy you a drink.
If you buy me a drink,I might buy you one.
or...
(Main Clause)
(IF Clause)
I will buy you a drinkif I see you tomorrow.
I might buy you oneif you buy me one.
We often use unless which means 'if ... not'.

Formation

(IF Clause)
(Main Clause)
Unless you hand in your homework,I won't mark it.
means
If you don't hand in your homework,I won't mark it.
or...
(Main Clause)
(IF Clause)
I won't mark your homeworkunless you hand it in.
means
I won't mark your homeworkif you don't hand it in.

Note! We never use will, or won't in the if part of the sentence.
For example:
  • If I have time today, I will phone my friend. = I will phone my friend if I have time today. (It is possible that I will have time - therefore the condition is real).
  • If I go to England, I will buy some Cheddar cheese. = I will buy some Cheddar cheese if I go to England. (It is possible that I will go to England - therefore the condition is real).

Author Profile
Related Articles

No comments:

Or you can contact us through the form below

Name Email* Message*

Comments

BloggerFacebookDisqus