The infinitive as object or complement of the verb
A) The roost useful verbs which can be followed directly by the infinitive are:
agree**
be determined** pretend* aim endeavour proceed appear* fail promise* arrange* *
forget* prove* ask*' guarantee* refuse attempt happen* remember* bother
hesitate resolve*" care (negative) hope seem* choose learn* swear*
claim"1'
long tend condescend manage threaten* consent neglect trouble (negative)
decide** offer try (= attempt) decline plan undertake* demand** prepare
volunteer determine** be prepared now
B) Auxiliary verbs
be dare
have must ought will can do may need shall used
The
following phrases can also be followed by an infinitive:
be about- make up one's mind* (= decide) be able + afford - occur* + to + object do one's
best/ set out - do what one can take the trouble make an/every effort - turn out*
(= prove to be) *
Examples of A and B
She
agreed to pay £50.
Two men
failed to return from the expedition.
I managed
to put the fire out.
They are
preparing (= getting ready) to evacuate the area.
We are
not prepared (= willing) to wait any longer.
The
tenants refused to lease.
Prices
always lend to go up.
She
volunteered to help with Meals on Wheels.
fie
is just about to leave, (on the point of leaving)
We can't
afford to live in the centre.
He didn't
bother/trouble to answer personally. Opposite of the above:
He took
the trouble to answer personally.
C) Starred verbs or expressions can also be used with a that-dause;
I promise
to wait = I promise that I will wait.
He
pretended to be angry = He pretended that he was angry. occur (used mainly in
negative and interrogative) requires an introductory it both with an infinitive
and a that construction;
It didn't
occur to me to ask him for proof of his identity. (I didn't think of doing this.)
It
occurred to me that he was trying to conceal something. (The idea came to me.)
appear,
happen, seem, turn out, when used with a that construction, also require an
introductory it:
I turned out
that his 'country cottage' was an enormous bungalow but His 'country cottage' turned
out to be an enormous bungalow. (infinitive construction)
D) But a verb + infinitive does not necessarily have the same meaning as the same verb used with a that-clause- With learn, forget and remember the meaning will be different;
He learnt to look after
himself.
He learnt (= was told) that
it would cost £100.
He forgot to leave the car
keys on the table. (He didn't leave them.)
He forgot that his brother wanted to use the car. remember
could be used similarly with the opposite meaning. agree/decide + infinitive
expresses an intention to act.
E) agree that. . . expresses an opinion. decide that. . . expresses a conclusion or a decision not necessarily leading to action.
F) Verbs with two stars take an infinitive or a that. . . should
construction, that. . .
should is particularly useful in the passive .
They decided/agreed to divide the profits equally. They
decided that the profits should be divided equally. I arranged to meet/for Tom
to meet them. I arranged that Torn should meet them. I arranged that they
should be met.
G) The continuous infinitive is often used after appear, happen, pretend, seem:
I happened to be looking out of the window when they arrived.
He seems to be following us.
It is also possible after
agree, arrange, decide, determine, hope, manage, plan and the auxiliary verbs.
H) The perfect infinitive is
possible after
appear, hope, pretend, seem and the auxiliary verbs.
No comments: